Stone Hill Winery won the highest honors at this year’s Missouri Wine Competition.
The 2022 competition took place last weekend in Columbia (Missouri), where judges blindly tasted 239 wines over two days. The judges then gave out 48 gold, 102 Silver, and 70 Bronze medals.
Stone Hill Winery’s 2020 Chambourcin wine won the Missouri Governor’s Cup as well as the Best of Class dry white.
The winner of the Missouri Governor’s Cup was chosen from 12 Best of Class champions.
- Sparkling: Stone Hill Winery Brut Rose
- Dry White: Noboleis Vineyards, 2021 Dry Vignoles
- Semi-Dry White: Augusta Winery – 2021 Vidal Blanc Estate Bottled
- Sweet White: Augusta Winery, 2021 Vignoles
- Dry Red: Stone Hill Winery, 2020 Chambourcin
- Semi-Dry Red: Adam Puchta Winery Hunter’s Red
- Sweet Red: St. James Winery Velvet Red
- Dry Rose: Noboleis Vineyards 2021 Dry Rose
- Sweet Rose: Augusta Vineyards River Valley Blush
- Fruit: Adam Puchta Winery Berry Black
- Dessert: Adam Puchta Winery – Signature Port
- Late Harvest/Ice Wine Augusta Winery – 2021 Icewine
“With every vintage, you have to wonder how consumers will react. So it is amazing that these accolades showcase that the team made the right calls with wine and grapes all year,” Shaun Turnbull (winemaker at Stone Hill Winery) says. “Everyone from the cellar and the vineyard came together to create something special.”
Stone Hill Winery’s 2020 Norton wine won the C.V. Riley Award for 2022. It was also paired with the 2020 Norton wine of Les Bourgeois Vineyards. C.V. Riley is Missouri’s first state-appointed entomologist. He was responsible for saving the French wine business in 1870s France, having discovered its pest-resistant rootstock. This award, named after him, recognizes the best Norton grape wines made in Missouri.
Stone Hill Winery is celebrating its 175th year. The winery’s most recent achievements are coming at an especially special time. Jon Held, Stone Hill Winery’s owner, says that it is an honor to have received the top two Missouri Wine Competition awards for the third consecutive year. It has been rewarding to watch this industry evolve and grow alongside us while keeping us motivated to improve.